The Viking Malt Barley Report of July 2018 is published on our web page. Read the whole report here:
Highlights and general observations of the crop situation:
The very dry weather continued in many Viking Malt countries in June – only Finland and Mid–Sweden were getting more rain from Midsummer and onward.
▪ We have now damages on our malting barley crop in all Viking Malt countries – of course with variations.
▪ Expectations today are lower yields, reduced calibration and higher protein levels – which will reduce the crop substantially.
▪ In Denmark , South Sweden and Poland any larger rain will from now on only have a negative impact on the barley as harvest is already starting or will commence in the next 1-2 weeks.
▪ The largest risk is that wet weather from now on is doing more damages to the already reduced crop – but now luckily the weather forecast is giving continuous dry weather in Denmark and Sweden.
▪ And again an old farmers rule:
Wet years yields are overestimated – dry years underestimated.